Топик Австралия познакомит вас с интересными фактами об этом государстве-острове. Австралия расположена далеко от остальной части мира и это самый маленький материк, но недра Австралии богаты полезными ископаемыми. В Австралии есть много очень старых городов, в основном, это порты, но построено и много современных мегаполисов.
1. The Commonwealth of Australia is a self governing federal state. It is situated in the south-west of the Pasific Ocean, occuping the continent of Australia and a great number of islands of which Tasmania is the most important. Australia is a continent-island washed by the Indian and the Pasific Oceans.
2. The country consists of 6 (six) states and 2 (two) territories. 16 million people live in Australia. The capital is Canberra. The offical language is English.
3. Australia has a Parliament, has two Chambers, the House of Representatives and the Senate. The Governmant of the country is headed by the Prime Minister.
4. Australia is not only far from the rest of the world, it has a bad climate, too. The climate is better in the east and south-east, where most big cities have grown-up. But the northern coast has too much rain, and the western coast is too dry.
5. The highest part of Australia, and almost all the mountains are near the coast. The whole central part of the country is dry; it never rains, there are no large rivers and no water there. So there is no very rich plant life in Australia, except in the east and south-east.
6. Australia is an important producer and exporter of primary products: wool, meat, sugar, fruit, black coal, iron, copper, lead, gold and so on.
7. Most of the factories are situated near big cities. There are 5 (five) big cities in Australia: Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane. This cities are also the country's main ports.
8. Canberra was specially planned as a capital city. It is a quiet city. All the government buildings are situated there. There no industrial plants in the city. About 300000 people live in Canberra.
9. Sydney is the oldest and the largest city in Australia. It was founded in 1788. Sydney is a big industrial centre. About 3 million people now live in the city.